Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pre Air Show

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to be volen-told to work at the Air Show. Basically I had a 12 hour shift directing traffic. The first part they drove myself and one oher guy several blocks off base, dropped us off and said, "keep people from parking on this street, and tell them where to park." Without telling US where they were supposed to park, they drove away. After a while we got things sortd out and the rest of the time was spent telling people they could not park here, which rarely made anybody happy. Aside from the constant stream of grumpy folks, and the occasional sneer from hippies, it wasnt so bad. One young boy came up to me and said "when I grow up I am going to be a soldier!"

Which instantly made me start tearing up. I think part of it was that it's a strange exprience to be looked up to like that. It also struck me as a somewhat depressing thought. But at the same time, in some way, at some point, I think that is the dream of most young boys. I think that violent ember is a beautiful thing. It should be encouraged as an element, and directed towards purpose (not specifically physical violence, but rather, a violent momentum.)

Anyway. Taking the kids to the airshow today. Perhaps some pictures are in order.

2 comments:

EmJ said...

We did go to the Air Show. I'm going to be posting pictures on my blog today if you are interested in viewing them.

iarenashviller said...

I'm proud of you, too.