Sunday, March 22, 2009

What world is that?

Tomorrow I am done with a week of in processing and start my electronics courses... I am very excited to learn specifics...

An interesting military story that won't mean mch to anybody that is or has not been in the military.

Yesterday I took a walk with Emily and the kids around base. Tech school is divided up into phases, each phase removing restrictions from the previous phases...As I just started I am in phase 1. One of the restrictions is that I cannot ride in cars. So we walked to the marina which .a very long walk indeed. As we started back from the marina a car slowed down and asked if we wanted a ride. Being the good little airman that I am, trying to remember all the rules, informed the gentleman that I could not ride in the car but that I would appreciate him giving a ride to my family. He said "you can ride with me" and proceeded to pull a u-turn in the middle of the road. He pulled to stop and said "climb in" I said, I'm in tech school sir and am not allowed to ride in cars yet" He said, "I am the vice wing commander and I say you can ride in my car." I am so taken aback that I completely forget to salute and offer simply "thank you very much sir." We pile Emily and Ari in the front seat, myself and Ivy in the back seat next to his daughter of about 7-8 and what later turns out to be the daughter on my squadron commander. He was very nice and never addressed my complete lack of what is known as "military bearing". He promised that he wouldn't tell my commander that I broke the rules.

9 comments:

.Bird. said...

snazzy-pants Johnson rises again, eh?

EmJ said...

Not until after we got out of the car and Nathanael and I were talking about the experience did I realize what a vice wing commander was. It was a wonderful event that occurred and it really made me feel great about our new life style that someone with his ranking would stop what he was doing on his day off with his family and offer his time for someone with Nathanael's ranking. (no offense Nathanael :) I think you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that happened!

Amy said...

So what is a vice wing commander?

iarenashviller said...

Hi mathanael

DonutMath said...

A wing is a division in the Air Force that may comprise thousands of people and their jobs, more than a billion dollars worth of equipment, and the base where all of that is located. The vice wing commander is the second in command of a wing, and is usually 12-13 levels of rank higher than Nate. :P

DonutMath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DonutMath said...

Nate- Let me know what you think of the marching jodies, and the thunderstorms during PT. I miss you, man.

Nathanaelbendavid said...

Ugh. My squadron is the "mad dogs" so most of our jodies and chants involve "barking" Yeh, we've done PT in the rain. Of course if its not PT we get restricted to our rooms all day so to keep us safe from the all the thunder storms that seek our destruction.